Coursera Skills Bootcamp:
Welcome to the information page for the skills camp that occurs at the completion of: Become an EMT! Specialization hosted in conjunction with Coursera. This skills camp is exclusively for those people who have completed the online specialization found here.
If you have found this page in error while looking for an EMT course, please follow this link for information about the variety of EMT and Paramedic courses offered at Denver Health or check out what is offered through Coursera.
For those that have completed the Become an EMT specialization or are interested in understanding this final step in becoming an EMT, see below.
What is this skills camp?
This is an intensive week long course taught by our expert EMT instructors here at Denver Health. They will share their clinical expertise as well as knowledge of the national registry requirements to accomplish two things:
1. Be a competent care provider
2. Learn what is most critical for the national registry skills exam
This skills camp gives you the opportunity to actually perform the skills that you have learned in the online environment and to master the application of those skills. These skills range from administering medications, to managing an airway, to performing complete patient evaluations. This course includes the opportunity to take the psychomotor/skills portion of the national registry exam. Upon completion of this course, you will go through a seven station skills exam and, if successful, will receive authorization for the written test for NREMT. While we hope everybody is successful in this endeavor, simply coming to and participating in this skills camp does not guarantee the ability to take the written portion of the national registry exam.
What is required of me in order to enroll in this skills camp?
1. You must complete the Become an EMT specialization and submit your certificate of completion for each of the 6 courses. These all need to be completed within the last 365 days. In order to submit an application, you need to be able to submit at least 3 of the 6 course completion certificates and final acceptance will be dependent on the submission of all of the certificates of completion.
2. You must take BLS for health care providers through the AHA and submit a copy of your card. If you are local, this course is also offered at Denver Health. Click here for the schedule. Otherwise you can find a course through the AHA by clicking here. 3. Immunization records: specifically your Hepatitis B series.
4. You must complete a background check
5. There is a $40.00 dollar nonrefundable application fee for all applicants.
Where is this offered?
Currently, this course is only offered in Denver at Denver Health. Hopefully there will be other sites that participate in the future but for now you must travel to Denver.
How much will it cost?
The cost for the skills camp itself is $1000.00. That includes cost of all skills related fees.
It does not include the cost of travel, housing, meals or transportation while in Denver. We do have a list of information and resources we can provide to you upon request if you are not familiar with the area.
Other things you should know:
Classes will be capped at 18 students so get your application in when you are eligible.
As mentioned before, coming to this class does not guaranty passing the psychomotor or skills portion of the psychomotor or skills portion of the National Registry of EMT exam that is offered on the last day. Studying and practicing both before the camp and during the camp is highly recommended.
Denver is an awesome city to visit and explore. Your week will be very busy but you should have time to see a few of the sights and of course you can extend your visit to have outdoor adventures in the foothills and nearby mountains or explore the city.
For more information please contact Denver Health Paramedics - EMS Education at 303-602-2530.